I like hawkers' food
Apom Manis is one that I like most.
I still remember so many years back for RM 1 I can get 4 pieces
Now, I can only get 1 piece!
In fact I have been trying to make some but failed many times.
I want it to be as thin as the hawkers selling.
I want it to be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
I used uncooked rice, cooked rice, fermenting it overnight,
the procedure was long and tedious!
After many failed trials, I opt for rice flour
short hours of fermenting.
If you are a fan of Apom Manis, you may like to try your hands on it.
7 Tbsp rice flour
2 Tbsp plain flour
1 Tbsp sugar (can add more if you have a sweet tooth)
1/8 tsp salt
150g coconut milk (no need thick, can be diluted)
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1. mix all ingredients and leave aside to proof for 2 hours
2. strain the mixture, and you are ready to fry
3. heat up a small wok and oil it for the 1st or 2nd piece so that it will not stick
4. pour a small ladle of batter into the wok & swirl the wok, like the hawkers do
5. cover & let cook until the sides starts to brown.
6. you may remove once cooked
7. if you like it brown on the other side, just turn and cook the other side