It is the time of the year again
5th Day of the 5th month of the Lunar calendar
Duan Wu Zei
make their rice dumpling with 2 simple ingredients,
glutinous rice & peanuts.
Today in Sitiawan
you can find Foochow dumplings with red bean paste filling
sold throughout the year
My late mother in law
usually bought one big bundle of 30 dumplings
to celebrate the occasion
My mom likes to make her own dumplings.
Foochow Dumplings is not readily available in Ipoh where we reside.
It is also the time of the year that all of us girls in the family
sit together to help wrap these dumplings.
If you are interested
I would like to share you the following recipe
Foochow Peanut Dumpling
1 kg glutinous rice, soaked overnight or at least 4 hours
200g peanuts, with skin on (boiled until soften)
2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp alkali water
400g red bean paste, divide into 20 balls of 20g each (optional)*
Bamboo leaves & hempstring
soaked in boiling water overnight to soften, cleaned
1. drain rice, add salt & alkali water, mix well
2. mix in 1/2 soften peanuts
3. fold bamboo leaf into a cone, add 1 Tbsp rice
4. put 1 ball of red bean paste in, & cover with more rice
5. fold the leaf to cover the cone & fold in the sides
6. use a hempstring to secure the sides.
7. cook in a pressure cooker (beans function)
8. when cooked, remember to hang the dumplings up so that it will not be soggy
Homemade red bean paste filling
250g red bean
1. boil red bean until soft, use pressure cooker
let cool overnight
1. blend the beans until fine
2. fry blended beans with sugar & oil until mixture leaves the side of pan
3. let cool overnight