is a versatile one bowl dish
You can either serve with rice,
soft bread, crusty bread or flat bread.
If cannot finish the same day
you can serve as a sauce for boiled noodles, beehoon or spaghetti
and still taste yummy!
My mom does not like spicy food.
She only likes the curry chicken that she cooks
because it is less spicy
with the minimum spices
and to top it all,
easy to cook!
If you are interested
this is her version of curry chicken which I fondly call
Easy Mummy's Curry Chicken.
It is really easy!
Easy Mummy's Curry Chicken
(A) 1/2 chicken, chop into bite size
2 potatoes, cut in wedges
(B) 5 garlic
20 dried chili, remove seeds & soak in hot water to soften
(C) add some water to make a paste
3-4 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
(D) 4-5 Tbsp cooking oil
2 lemon grass, smashed
1-2 cup water
some curry leaves
100g coconut milk
salt & sugar to taste
1) blend (B) garlic, shallots & chili until fine
2) heat oil in a kuali, turn heat down to low and add (B) to fry until fragrant
3) add curry powder paste & lemon grass, fry until red oil has surfaced
4) add chicken, potato & curry leaves, and continue frying
5) add water to cook until chicken is tender
6) add coconut milk, salt & sugar to taste
Mom's Notes to me:
1. Do not be stingy with oil, curry gets its colour from oil
2. always use LOW heat to fry chili paste until fragrant
2. must fry until the oil separates from the paste, no short cut!