Nian Gao in Mandarin
is New Year Cake, by direct translation.
is a delicacy only available during Chinese New Year.
Foochow (Fuzhou) community
make their Nian Gao
different from other dialects.
It has additional ingredients
like taro (yam), peanuts and red dates.
Unlike traditional Chinese Nian Gao,
these are made with tapioca flour instead of glutinous rice flour.
Foochow like to cook with tapioca flour.
Their noodles Lonn Yen are also made from tapioca flour.
If you like to taste this authentic
Fuzhou Nian Gao
here is the recipe:
Foochow (Fuzhou) Nian Gao
(A) 8 oz yam, shredded
1.7 oz peanuts, pre-boiled to soften
some red dates, slit & soak awhile to soften
(B) mix together: 3.5 oz tapioca flour
1 Tbsp glutinous rice flour
1/2 tsp 5-spice powder
(C) 2.5 oz brown sugar
1.5 oz white sugar
6.75 oz water
0.6 oz oil
pinch of salt
1. Bring (C) to a boil, add peanuts
2. add yam & bring to simmer until almost dry, do not stir
3. remove from heat, mix in dry ingredients (B)
4. pour into a parchment lined steaming pan
5. arrange some red dates on the top of the cake & steam for 1-1.5 hr