Purple Sweet Potato Coconut Chiffon
is soft and spongy.
It is surprisingly moist with the added purple sweet potato puree.
it has a strong aroma of coconut.
This is simply delicious!
According to Sy Yong, the author of the recipe,
the colour in the purple sweet potato reacts with acid and turns red.
As such, 2 tsp of lemon juice
has been added to the sweet potato puree
to get the purple colour.
No baking powder or soda should be added,
as the puree will react with alkali and turn bluish grey!
100g purple sweet potato puree
2 tsp lemon juice
60g coconut milk
4 egg yolks
1/3 tsp salt
50g cooking oil
75g cake flour
2 Tbsp milk, adjust consistency
5 egg white
50g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. steam potato till soft, mash through a strainer to get 100g puree
2. add lemon juice & mix well for deep red colour
3. add coconut milk & mix
4. in another bowl, beat egg yolks, salt & sugar till light, add oil
5. add in the potato puree in batches, whisk till all dissolved
6. fold in sifted flour gently. If the mixture is lumpy, add milk to adjust. Set aside
7. beat egg white till frothy, add cream of tartar.
8. continue beating, add sugar in 3 batches. beat until stiff peaks.
9. carefully fold into egg yolk mixture in 3 batches, mix evenly
10. pour into a 7" square pan
11. bake in preheated oven 170'C for 50min until skewer comes out clean
12. invert to cool