A Time To Share

Our God is a God of Nations:
"He so love the WORLD ... He gave His one and only son..."

Tuesday 29 August 2017

3 Ingredients One Bowl Egg Cake





I am sure many of us know about this
3 Ingredients Egg Cake
in the ratio of 1 : 1 : 1 cup

It is a Traditional Egg Cake
made in many of the Chinese households
during the olden days.

Simple ingredients readily available in the pantry,
egg, flour and sugar
and 
easily whipped up,
in One bowl!

Those days, this Egg cake was usually steamed
unless you had a made shift
OVEN

The Egg Cake was baked in 
an old but big clay pot, heated over a charcoal stove.
It was then covered with a metal plate 
with the 4 corners tied with a string extended to the top & drawn together
for easy lifting.
This plate was then filled with some burning charcoal
to give heat to the top of the cake.

How do you like baking with such an oven?

Starting from getting the stove lit up
and 
the cake whipped up by hand (muscle training),
the chores was tedious.

My hubby told me that
like every family in the village
they also made this Egg Cake when they were young.

His eldest sister, 
Esther,
the baker of the house,
would usually gather them (the remaining 5 siblings)
to help in the whisking of the eggs with a spring whisk
while she got the 'oven' ready!

The eggs did not seem to rise at all
(they were all very young children)
and 
they had to whisk very long time to get it ready.
Not surprising that half way, few of them would sneak out to play.

In fact, some would quietly fled 
when Esther was getting ready the utensils & ingredients.

To bring back the sweet memories
he actually whisked the eggs for me by hand!


3 Ingredients One Bowl Egg Cake
1 cup egg (5 large eggs)
1 cup plain flour ( 110g - I added 1 tsp baking powder)
1 cup sugar (I reduced to 150g)

1) whisk up eggs in a electric mixer
2) gradually add in sugar
3) when the egg mixture comes to ribbon stage, fold in sifted flour
4) stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain. DO NOT OVERMIX
5) pour mixture into a 8" square pan (line bottom with parchment)
6) bake in middle rack of preheated oven 175'C for 30min
7) overturn to cool on wire rack when done

Note:
1. This Egg Cake has a different texture from the sponge cake.
    It is coarse, not so smooth 
2. you can slice it horizontally to put some kaya as filling too

6 comments:

Ding Mee Ling from Facebook said...

Haha this is the gey lonn gor πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

Katie Foong: Yes, gey Lonn gor, our fav during childhood days

Ding Mee Ling: Reminds me of my childhood..
my neighbour will use charcoal stove and moulds .

Katie Foong: Yes, so much work hor

Ding Mee Ling: I watched the neighbour girls at it.
Jin heong lo πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

Katie Foong: Jin heong! Pu hor lek

Anonymous said...

Tq for sharing

Katie Foong: Traditional egg cake. You are welcomed.

Sherilyn Chan: Have never eaten these. My mom used to make bahulu only. Over a charcoal stove.

Katie Foong: bahulu is the small version. Bake in the same made shift oven too.

Jane Lee from Facebook said...

Used to watch my late mum used those giant spring like whisks to make this..
Brings back nostalgic childhood memories..
Tq. sis Katie..
πŸ’Ÿ

Katie Foong: Yes, I used that spring whisk before, so big

Maria Bee from Facebook said...

Haha, my mother used to steam the cake. Will try the bake version. Tq Katie.

Katie Foong: Haha! My mom says baked ones taste better and more fragrant.
So, she asked me to bake for her instead of the traditional steaming method.

Priscilla Tan from Facebook said...

I think i remb when i was a little girl my mum used to buy it in the market. Looks yummy n well done. I remb i loved to dipped into my coffee

Katie Foong: Talking about dipping into the coffee, I did that too, but not with the fresh ones, but de-hydrated ones sold in plastic bags. I thought they cannot finish selling so dried them, haha! Still nice! Maybe I should try drying some.

Priscilla Tan: U shd bring back the old memories back to life n pass it on to.ur blessed cucus

Katie Foong: this is exactly what I am trying to do,to pass on the legacy ..

Loke Peng from Facebook said...

Kuih Bahulu also like this, Katie.

Katie Foong: Yes. My mom used to bake Kuih bahulu in the old fashion make shift 'oven' like I mentioned in the blog. It is common, be it in Ipoh or Sitiawan.