is a friendship starter
It is given free
is meant to pass down from generations to generations
It has been introduced to us by
Xiuli Zhang from Singapore.
She has an exceptional passion for Herman Starter.
She cultures Herman
distributes to ALL those who show interest in it.
Besides distributing in Singapore
driving Herman to their new homes,
She even posted the Herman to various states in Malaysia,
paid for the Postage!
All for the love of Herman
History of Herman
being a friendship Starter
is given free to start a friendship
This is Day 2 Herman
If you are interested, can refer to this link created by Xiuli Zhang
request for Herman starter
Herman is easy to maintain and
it requires feeding every 5 days
This is how it goes:
1/4 cup herman starter
fed with 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
Day 2 - 4
stir every day
1. take out 1/4 cup to start feeding cycle for the next batch
i.e. cycle starts from Day 1-4 again
2. to the remaining herman, add 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup all purpose flour
This is ready to use the next day or 2
The current hot weather speeds up fermentation,
so Herman turns sour easily.
This method can help to control over fermentation:
Method Adapted to Asian Weather
1/4 cup herman
fed with 1/8 cup sugar, 1/4 cup plain flour & 1/4 cup milk
fed the batch with 1/8 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour & 1/4 cup milk
1) You can share the herman on any of the days above
2) once you receive the herman, start feeding from Day 1
3) if you need more herman for baking, just increase the feeding amount accordingly.
4) use the herman to bake when it has risen double in height