CLAYPOT CHICKEN RICE
cooked in a rice cooker
Claypot chicken rice
is a favourite one pot meal for many of us.
it is easily available
either in coffee shops or food courts.
This one pot meal can easily be prepared at home
with the least fuss.
You can either use your rice cooker
or a simple steamer,
either of them works just fine
If you are interested, here is the recipe -
the ingredients are shown below:
1 chicken thigh
1/2 Chinese sausage (lap Cheong), sliced thinly
4-5 slices ginger, shredded into strips
4 shallots, shredded & fried in 1/2 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
1.5 tsp soya sauce
1/2 tsp oyster sauce
salt & pepper to taste
Decorate: cut spring onions & red chili
1. chop chicken into bite size, carefully remove any loose bits of bones.
2. marinate chicken with all the rest of the ingredients except the Chinese sausage.
set aside for 30min
3. cook rice in the rice cooker. Remember to reduce the amount of water.
This will be replenished with the chicken marinate later.
4. half way during cooking, when the water in the rice cooker starts to dry up,
add the chicken together with the marinate sauce. Arrange Chinese sausage on top
(so that they can remain red colour), and let the rice cooker continue cooking
5. when ready to serve, run a pair of chopsticks through the rice to mix and loosen
6. serve with spring onions & cut chili
1) must check for loose pieces of bones if cooking for children.
you can even de-bone the chicken thigh
2) remember to reduce amount of water when cooking rice.
If not your rice will be too soft.
3) To avoid chicken being too dry, it is only added half way during cooking rice.
This way, the chicken will remain nice & juicy