This dish is cooked
with fresh bamboo shoot bought from the market
When you cannot find fresh ones
subsitute with canned bamboo shoot
Bamboo Shoot Pork
Have you ever tasted
this traditional Foochow dish?
My late mother-in-law's
during Chinese New Year re-union!
She used the de-hydrated Bamboo shoot from China
soaked it for days
before stewing with pork slices
She usually cooked very large portion
we could only finish by the end of the
it tastes better each day after re-heating!
Dried bamboo shoots are not easy to come by.
I use fresh ones if I happen to find in the wet market
canned ones are fine
300g pork belly, cut in bite size
1/2 can bamboo shoot, sliced coarsely
3 Tbsp foochow rice wine residue
few slices of ginger
1 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1) heat oil & fry ginger slice until fragrant
2) add pork slices and fry until meat shrinks
3) add rice wine residue, taking care not to burn
4) add water & simmer until meat is tender and gravy thickens
5) add bamboo shoot, salt, sugar & pepper to taste